The Conviction

After the initial epiphany that kindergarten registration was just a year away, we started considering all of our options. As I saw it, we had three options: option A was public school, option B was private school, and option C was homeschool (which I had always said would never be an option).

It didn't take long to realize that I didn't want to entrust my children's most formative years to a government-run school. Disclaimer - this is not to say that public school isn't the best, most God-honoring choice for other families or that there aren't amazing, godly men and women who serve within the public school system. However, more and more I see our American culture transforming from one that is no longer just "politically correct" or even "tolerant," to one that is downright hostile towards Christianity specifically. Throughout the Bible are stories of men and women who were persecuted and martyred for their faith, and throughout the world today are real, living people enduring the same same. If you need a wake-up call to this fact like I did, visit www.persecution.com. Although our country was founded by people seeking religious freedom, it would be foolish to assume that our religious liberties could never be taken from us, or at best be limited. The same people imposing laws that would limit our rights to live in accordance with Biblical convictions are the ones governing curriculum and practices within the public school system.

So what choices did we have? We ruled out public school, so next on the list was private school. I liked the idea of private school because our kids could have the traditional school experience minus the political or cultural agenda. I could enjoy my days working part-time again, keeping the house nice and tidy, having a hot bod because of all the time I would have to work out, and volunteering for every class function and field trip. It all sounded so perfect until I realized that the closest option was about a 40 minute drive...with no traffic. There's always traffic.

In the midst of racking my brain to try to make the private school option work, I slowly started to realize that I needed to consider option C - the one I swore I would never do. Throughout the process of considering all options, I spent a lot of time reading, seeking wise counsel, and praying. God led me to several passages of Scripture (see below), and in the end, I felt the conviction to do everything within my power to make sure a firm foundation of faith was laid for my kiddos. For a black and white person such as myself, this meant homeschooling. The choice was made not in order to "protect" or "shield" my children from the world, but to teach them how to interact with the world in light of our faith. How to show compassion to those who are hurting, how to interact with those who have differing opinions with grace and humility, how to help those in need, and how to stand firm in our faith regardless of the outcome. Most would agree that the early years are the most formative, so I want to take advantage of my influence and every opportunity now while they are still young.


Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. – Mark 12:30

Love your neighbor as yourself. – Mark 12:31

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise…you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. – Deut. 6:6-7, 9

It is the Lord your God you shall fear. Him you shall serve and by his name you shall swear. You shall not go after other gods, the gods of the people who are around you. – Deut. 6:13-14

By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches. – Prov. 24:3-4

All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children. – Is. 54:13

We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done. – Ps. 78:4

Tell your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children to another generation. – Joel 1:3

Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? - 1 Cor. 1:20

Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the break of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. – Ps. 127:1-4

Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. – Ps. 37:3-5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rollercoasters and Treasures

The Prayer of Saint Patrick

Today and Eternity