Just The Beginning

The journey started about a year and a half ago when I had to register L in "the system" so she could receive speech therapy in preschool. Having majored in education, I always assumed I would send my kids to a traditional school. I myself would either get a job at their school or be the mom who volunteered for every class event. Turning in official paperwork one year before I would have to do it again for kindergarten it suddenly got real... and I realized I needed to do what I do best - explore every available option and talk it to death before making a decision. Fast-forward a year, insert lots of books and conversations with moms from multiple "schools" of thought (see what I did there?) and we arrive at the trail head. This was the point at which I made it "Facebook official" and posted the below...

So there's the road, the road less traveled, and then there's that tiny, little unmarked path. The one you probably wouldn't have noticed and wouldn't have been able to find without specific, detailed directions from a "local." I've been fortunate enough to have found myself on that path several times....when my dad and I backpacked across the Grand Canyon, when my cousins and I decided to pick our own path through Europe rather than sign up for a tour, when we meandered through a corn field to find a secret swimming hole with a beautiful waterfall in Hawaii, and when we hiked to a hidden lake in the mountains of Colorado. And now our family is ready to embark on a new adventure as we prepare to homeschool. We have been researching and praying about it for almost a year now, and yesterday we took our first definitive step when we registered for a homeschool co-op. It's definitely the off-road choice in our culture, but experience has taught me that the further from the highway the better the view.

We are now about two months in, and I realized that I wanted to better document our journey as well as share it with others - cue the blog. Deuteronomy 6: 5-7 was the passage of Scripture that led us here and was the inspiration for the name Along The Road. Here's to enjoying the journey!

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Teach them diligently to your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 6: 5-7 (NIV & ESV mash up)

Comments

  1. Beautiful, so proud of the Godly women you've become!! Love you so much!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rollercoasters and Treasures

The Prayer of Saint Patrick

Today and Eternity