Step 1 - Research
It had been months of praying and considering all of our options when we realized that God had given us the conviction to homeschool. But now what? I did what any sensible person would do and googled "homeschool." I very quickly realized that the world of homeschooling was far vaster than I had realized. Growing up it seemed like there was just that one homeschool family...and they wore long denim skirts. Not the case anymore!
If you are considering this option at all, below are some resources that I found to be helpful and would recommend as you begin researching.
1. Lisa Whelchel's book So You're Thinking About Homeschooling. In her introduction, Lisa explains that this book was written for those who haven't even necessarily made the decision yet. In it she describes 15 different families and their approaches to homeschooling. I realized that there are about as many ways to do this as there are families who do it. This was the book that gave me the confidence that I might just be competent enough to do this and the comfort in knowing that there isn't one right or perfect way.
2. HSLDA.org Homeschool Legal Defense Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to defending families' rights to educate at home. Their website is full of helpful resources including laws specific to your state, support groups in your area, and other helpful tips for getting started.
3. CathyDuffyReviews.com Cathy Duffy, a long-time homeschool mom and curriculum specialist reviews just about every curricula under the sun on her website, and she lists her "top picks." There is a summary on each review that pinpoints the target audience, level of parental involvement needed, prep time, educational approach, religious perspective and pricing.
4. Homeschool families you know. I've found that homeschool families are typically more than happy to talk about their experiences as well as answer any and all questions you may have. I was super fortunate to have several ladies in my life who took the time to answer the lists of questions I brought to them, showed me exactly what they do in a typical day, and helped me get connected in a community. If you know someone who homeschools, take advantage of their expertise and don't be afraid to ask for their guidance!
Of course there are many more resources out there - so many that it can be overwhelming (especially if you suffer from paralysis by analysis like I do!). These are just a few that were most helpful and influential for me. Happy researching! :)
If you are considering this option at all, below are some resources that I found to be helpful and would recommend as you begin researching.
1. Lisa Whelchel's book So You're Thinking About Homeschooling. In her introduction, Lisa explains that this book was written for those who haven't even necessarily made the decision yet. In it she describes 15 different families and their approaches to homeschooling. I realized that there are about as many ways to do this as there are families who do it. This was the book that gave me the confidence that I might just be competent enough to do this and the comfort in knowing that there isn't one right or perfect way.
2. HSLDA.org Homeschool Legal Defense Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to defending families' rights to educate at home. Their website is full of helpful resources including laws specific to your state, support groups in your area, and other helpful tips for getting started.
3. CathyDuffyReviews.com Cathy Duffy, a long-time homeschool mom and curriculum specialist reviews just about every curricula under the sun on her website, and she lists her "top picks." There is a summary on each review that pinpoints the target audience, level of parental involvement needed, prep time, educational approach, religious perspective and pricing.
4. Homeschool families you know. I've found that homeschool families are typically more than happy to talk about their experiences as well as answer any and all questions you may have. I was super fortunate to have several ladies in my life who took the time to answer the lists of questions I brought to them, showed me exactly what they do in a typical day, and helped me get connected in a community. If you know someone who homeschools, take advantage of their expertise and don't be afraid to ask for their guidance!
Of course there are many more resources out there - so many that it can be overwhelming (especially if you suffer from paralysis by analysis like I do!). These are just a few that were most helpful and influential for me. Happy researching! :)
Comments
Post a Comment