Step 2 - Getting Connected
Mission accepted. Research complete. Now to connect. As any parent knows, "it takes a village." And this is particularly true when you choose the road less traveled. There are so many ways to get plugged in to the wide world of homeschooling. Below, are a few of the ways I personally was able to find community.
1. Friends who homeschool. I won't belabor this point as I mentioned it already in my previous post, but I can't emphasize enough the value of learning from people you already have a relationship with who have made this decision.
2. Local Co-Ops. From structured to casual, weekly to sporadic, religious to secular, curriculum based to social, and everything in between, there is a co-op to fit your needs and homeschool style. And if there isn't one in your area, you can start one! Consider your educational and social goals, and then do your homework.
3. Facebook Groups. I was able to find general homeschool groups for my area, social groups close to my neighborhood, official co-op groups (though these are sometimes private), and used curriculum groups both local and not. These are great places to ask questions, find events, and purchase used curriculum and other resources.
4. Curriculum Fairs. If you are able to find a curriculum sale near you - go! They are a great place to peruse resources, meet other homeschool families, and find more info about local co-ops. I've been to both casual sell-from-your-trunk sales and more organized and publicized sales, both of which were well worth my time.
We were made for community (even introverts like me). So spend some time pursuing this and finding your "tribe" of people to do life and homeschooling with.
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him - a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12
1. Friends who homeschool. I won't belabor this point as I mentioned it already in my previous post, but I can't emphasize enough the value of learning from people you already have a relationship with who have made this decision.
2. Local Co-Ops. From structured to casual, weekly to sporadic, religious to secular, curriculum based to social, and everything in between, there is a co-op to fit your needs and homeschool style. And if there isn't one in your area, you can start one! Consider your educational and social goals, and then do your homework.
3. Facebook Groups. I was able to find general homeschool groups for my area, social groups close to my neighborhood, official co-op groups (though these are sometimes private), and used curriculum groups both local and not. These are great places to ask questions, find events, and purchase used curriculum and other resources.
4. Curriculum Fairs. If you are able to find a curriculum sale near you - go! They are a great place to peruse resources, meet other homeschool families, and find more info about local co-ops. I've been to both casual sell-from-your-trunk sales and more organized and publicized sales, both of which were well worth my time.
We were made for community (even introverts like me). So spend some time pursuing this and finding your "tribe" of people to do life and homeschooling with.
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him - a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12
Comments
Post a Comment