Our Happy Place (99% of the time)
When I needed a break from researching state homeschooling laws, curriculum choices, and co-op options, I turned to Pinterest. We decided to let the girls share a room and use our third bedroom as a classroom/playroom/craft room. By first world standards, the space I was working with wasn't very big, so I tailored my search of homeschool rooms specifically to small spaces. Here are some pictures of how it turned out.
To create some extra space, I removed the closet door and added an additional shelf (behind the magic curtain.) The two shelves hold all craft supplies; the curtain hides the "visual noise." To the left of the bookshelf is our little reading nook. Not pictured is the push on light stuck to the inside wall.
Frequently used supplies are easily accessible on the back of the door. The hanging buckets are dry-erase markers, sharpies, and colored pencils - things the girls use only with supervision. The hanging chalkboard reminds us of everything we have coming up for the week.
I've since shifted one of the chairs to the other end of the table, but each of us has our own. The whiteboard is now used for our Classical Conversations memory work. I have since hot glued mini clips to the bottom so I could hang our timeline cards each week.
The bookshelf on the right contains all curriculum and educational supplies, games, and books. The shelf on the left has toys such as blocks, purses, dolls, trains, kitchen, etc.
Now, just to show reality, below are some pictures of what things looked like through the transition. I was super fortunate to have my mom watch the girls every day for a week so that I could attend a Parent Practicum for three mornings and put this space together in the afternoons and rest of the week. Not pictured are the nursery that this room was to begin with and the many stages of change that the girls' now shared bedroom went through.
One final note about siblings sharing a room... L was 5 and the little one was 2 when we made the switch. I was super nervous it would have a negative impact on their sleeping (and thereby MY sleeping!). While there was definitely a transition period, it only lasted about a week, and I feel like they have only grown closer together. It also seems to have aided in the sharing department - they don't see things as "mine" and "yours" as much since most things are shared.







Comments
Post a Comment