He’s in the Boat

Our church is doing a series right now called “Four Letter Words.” Though it contains more letters, it’s still a “bad word” I can’t quite bring myself to say. The “c” word - cancer. I don’t want to dwell on it or even look at it right now, but Monday I was told I have it. As far as we know, it’s been caught in its very earliest stage - I count myself blessed to have found it now at 34 instead of finding a worse version of it at my 40 year old mammogram. 

I don’t know more than that right now. Today we have an appointment with the surgeon to discuss next steps and treatment plan. I have a bilateral MRI scheduled for Monday. 

Already we’ve experienced such an outpouring of love, support, and encouragement. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart! We are the most fortunate people in the world to be surrounded by such loving family and friends! I knew we had a good support system, but holy cow! When you actually see it all come together at once it’s humbling!

We’ve had so many people ask how they can help... and we have one great, overwhelming, legit need, and that is for prayer. I do not say that lightly. Please, if you are willing to bring us a meal, use that time instead to cry out to God on our behalf. If you are willing to watch my girls (the humans, not the ta-tas), please spend time on your knees and pray for us. I’m sure we will have more hands-on needs in the weeks to come, but anyone who knows me well, who knows my past struggles with anxiety, knows how very seriously I make this request. 

If you aren’t the praying type but want to help, please spend that time searching and researching. Don’t settle for apathy or “reason” or past hurt or whatever it is that has brought you to your current conclusions about God and eternity. You, the real you, YOU are much too precious and loved and unique and special to not at least explore this. It occurred to me that from the moment we are born, we are decaying and dying. We forget that in the fast-paced, medically advanced, driven society in which we live. I don’t say that to invoke fear - I am not afraid of death (pain, yes a little, but death is just our word for what is really a transition into life). I just say that to hopefully inspire you to at least spend a little time pondering these things, out of the truest and purest love for you. 

Ok, that got a little intense with the “d” word...I should clarify here that my diagnosis is no where near serious enough to think that is in the near future. But that ugly, ugly “c” word makes you pause and think of greater things. 

I wanted to share some pages from my journal because we have already seen good shine through this darkness. The last couple pages have the very specific requests we are praying about right now if you’d like to join us in praying for them. Yes, it’s weird and vulnerable to share something this personal. But if by sharing I can help even 1 person, or even play a part in helping 1 person in any way, then it’s worth it. 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rollercoasters and Treasures

The Prayer of Saint Patrick

Today and Eternity