Jesus To Me
They were Jesus to me…
The stranger who taught me that “God doesn’t waste our pain”
The counselor that taught me how to breathe
The nurse that prayed over me in my darkest hour
They were Jesus to me…
The friend who organized meals for our family
The survivor who led me each step of the way
The woman who cleaned my house after surgery
They were Jesus to me…
The friend who brought me medicine
The one who vacuumed my house
Another who stopped by with a gift
They were Jesus to me…
The pastor who prayed for me when I didn’t yet have the words
The friends who sent me songs and notes
The dear friend now passed who sent encouragement regularly though she was facing her own much greater battle
They were Jesus to me…
The sweet friend who prayed quietly over my children
The pastors who prayed with us at the hospital
The friend who sat with Jake in the waiting room for hours and then brought him food
They were Jesus to me…
The Aunt who sent me an encouraging text every single morning for over 6 weeks
My parents who I know felt every pain that I felt
They took care of my children through countless appointments
They were Jesus to me…
My children who showered me with pictures
They held the straw to my mouth when I wasn’t strong enough to hold a water bottle
The time they washed my feet
They were Jesus to me…
My husband who cared for my wounds
How he helped me stay focused mentally
He told me my scars are beautiful
He was Jesus to me…
Jesus Himself walked beside me
Through His Word, His creation, in prayer and song
But He came near to me in flesh and blood through the many people that to Him belong
Each year that goes by, I reflect and gain a little more perspective. This year, 3 years out from my breast cancer experience, two things in particular are standing out:
1) The importance of The Church
Every single person mentioned above has a name. They are fellow believers, led by the Holy Spirit, who ministered to me in a time of great need. Some go to the same building as I do to worship, some do not. Each one of them loved me well because they have a Savior who loves them well, and what I experienced was an outpouring of that love. Were I not a part of circles of believers though, those relationships would not have been in place, and those people wouldn't have known me and therefore wouldn't have known of my need. If you don't have people - go to church and get some people! The inevitable burdens of life are so much easier to shoulder with a community.
2) The importance of sharing your story
Some of the most hope-filled moments I experienced in the midst of the storm were when I got to connect with other women who had also received a breast cancer diagnosis and came out on the other side. They were like light at the end of a tunnel for me. An indication that there could be life on the other side of this. Things would never be "the same." Whether I liked it or not there would indeed be a "new normal..." but one where I could still thrive. Had they not shared their stories though, the path would have been darker as I walked it. And so now, myself on the other side as well, I get to be that glimmer of light for others. I get to show them and tell them of what God has done in my life in and through and after cancer. This lesson, by the way, can apply to any diagnosis or trauma or struggle. Telling the story of how God led you through to the other side will give hope to others and bring Him glory.
If you are looking for a way to get involved this Breast Cancer Awareness month, come with me to the Shine the Light event put on by Keepers of the Flame. This organization was founded by my friend and "tour guide through cancer." Their mission is "to shine light into the darkness, empowering breast cancer patients to weather breast cancer both physically and emotionally." If you know me or my story at all, you know that the emotional is just as big and real and scary as the physical was. That's why I love this organization and what they are doing to help patients from both angles.
Comments
Post a Comment