Peace
I love me some old school Amy Grant music - especially her Christmas albums. A couple weeks ago (so, beginning of November), on a particularly hurried morning, an old song of hers popped into my head... I Need a Silent Night.

I was stopped dead in my tracks on page 35. It was a tool to help gauge the level of stress in your life. There was a list of life event stressors, each with a number value assigned. The idea is that you add up the numbers for anything on the list you’ve experienced in the past 2 years, then look at your total to determine to what extent you may be dealing with chronic stress. The list was mostly what you’d expect: death of a loved one, job loss, change in living situation......
...and Christmas.
CHRISTMAS?!?
Yep, right there below vacation and above breaking the law.
WHAT?!?
Um, If vacation and Christmas are on the list of stressful life events along with foreclosure and health issues then we are doing them wrong!

Matt. 1:23 “behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).
“I need a silent night//a Holy night//to hear an angel voice//through the chaos and the noise//I need a midnight clear//a little peace right here//to end this crazy day with a silent night.”
Last December I was perusing through a beast of a book called The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne, Ph.D.
I was stopped dead in my tracks on page 35. It was a tool to help gauge the level of stress in your life. There was a list of life event stressors, each with a number value assigned. The idea is that you add up the numbers for anything on the list you’ve experienced in the past 2 years, then look at your total to determine to what extent you may be dealing with chronic stress. The list was mostly what you’d expect: death of a loved one, job loss, change in living situation......
...and Christmas.
CHRISTMAS?!?
Yep, right there below vacation and above breaking the law.
WHAT?!?
Um, If vacation and Christmas are on the list of stressful life events along with foreclosure and health issues then we are doing them wrong!
Matt. 1:23 “behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).
Luke 2:10, 14 “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people...glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased.”
Is. 26:3 “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.”
John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”
I think it’s fair to say that the point of any holiday is to help us remember - to give us space to stop and reflect. It’s why we have MLK day, and Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Thanksgiving. Christmas comes to give us an annual, set time to stop and remember that God himself entered into our broken world to bring healing, and life, and peace.
But why does a holiday that should bring a moment’s pause and some quiet reflection, ultimately landing us in a place of deep rooted peace, feel so other than that? Too many times December feels over-scheduled, chaotic, frantic, excessive relationally and commercially. You know, all the things Charlie Brown picked up on. Why does it warrant a spot on the list of life stressors for cryin' out loud?!
I propose it’s because our lives are so hurried as a baseline that we haven’t stopped to consider and question our actions and motives, but rather get swept along with whatever cultural “norms” we find ourselves in the midst of. We’ve unintentionally placed ourselves in a prison of exhaustion behind bars of tradition and other people’s expectations (whether in reality or just perceived), and “the Jones” is the warden.
So how do we break free? With many small decisions and intentionality. By saying no, drawing boundaries, and casting our fear to the side. We need to question things rather than following along quickly and blindly.
But first, we need to schedule space. Even a few quiet minutes each day to silence the noise of life, so we can hear the voice of God. So we can hear our own voice and feelings. So we can evaluate and question things. And so we can muster up the courage to put down the things that need to be put down.
I don’t think this means we drop everything and move out to the middle of nowhere (as much as that appeals to me, I admit). In my family this year we are still buying gifts for our children and loved ones, still spending time with extended family, and still watching some Christmas movies. I’ve tweaked my circumstances so that I’m done with Christmas shopping early, I’ve limited the number of “fun events” on the calendar, and Jake and I are spending more time in meaningful conversation in the evenings instead of staring at the t.v.
But just as important as the external, is the internal. I’m keeping the thermometer on my inner voice and stress level and questioning every opportunity, invitation and urge that comes along. I’m challenging traditions, even the good ones. I’m still learning how to be still and content. I don’t think I’ll get it completely right, but maybe a step in the right direction this year.
Recommended reading around this topic:
The Best Yes by Lisa Terkeurst
Love this!! Good stress is stress and bad stress is stress. We need to “Be still and know that HE IS GOD”.
ReplyDelete