February Highlights
Well, it's been a while since I've documented our journey online, but that doesn't mean we haven't been really busy with all kinds of learning, field trips, and play dates. Here are some highlights from February!
We always try to make Math as fun and concrete as possible, so when we were learning about cylinders, spheres, and cones we searched for examples in our classroom.
This.Right.Here! This is my reward, my payment, my blessing for walking the path to which God called us. Every brick wall and bad attitude (mine and hers) just melts away in moments like these. She wrote me this note in church one Sunday.
We've worked really hard this year in Math to learn how to count money. We took the lesson to the bank one Friday, and the girls opened their first savings accounts.
Art project at our co-op using a variety of textured paints. L's sunset turned out so beautifully!
One of the educational goals I was lukewarm about at best was teaching cursive. However, I have this super creative little learner who can color in the lines and paint the most beautiful pictures but has horrible handwriting. I decided to introduce cursive, hoping the "fancy" writing would give her the motivation she was lacking...my instincts were right!! (at least on this one occasion) :)
We are super fortunate to live near several colleges and universities. Georgia Southern provides several learning opportunities to school groups, and our co-op got to enjoy a very fun and informative trip to the planetarium to learn about the solar system. Afterwards, we all headed to a local park with our bag lunches in tow.
This day was quite possibly my favorite day yet on our homeschooling journey. We had finished up a little early, and as I was checking my emails, I came across daffodil picking in my Southern Mamas weekly newsletter. It was the most spontaneous trip we've ever embarked on (with the exception, perhaps, of the time we evacuated hours ahead of Hurricane Matthew). We were out the door in about 5 minutes and headed to South Carolina to pick the most beautiful daffodils at 25 cents a stem. While I would usually pack a lunch for this sort of adventure, I threw some applesauce pouches and water bottles to the girls, and we jumped in the car. That meant that by the time we were finished, we got to actually "eat out" - pancakes at McDonald's was the icing on top of our seize-the-day outing. I taught the girls the phrase "carpe diem" as we experienced it firsthand.
Comments
Post a Comment